Federal Employees who are injured at work need to know what to do to get an OWCP work injury claim approved.  It starts by knowing what to do when you get injured at work.

  1. Report your injury to your supervisor immediately.  Never delay.  Delays can cause you to lose important benefits.
  2. Get a CA16 to pay your medical bills for 60 days if you filed a CA1 claim within 7 days of the injury.
  3. Choose your doctor.  You have the right to choose your own doctor.  That’s the law.
  4. Sit with your supervisor and fill out a CA1 or CA2 depending on the circumstances of your work injury or condition.
  5. On a CA1 OWCP claim, choose between Sick and Annual Leave or Continuation of Pay (COP).  This is on Box 15 of the CA1.  You must report your injury within 30 days of the injury to be eligible for up to 45 days of COP.